Siem Reap is a city located in northwestern Cambodia, and it is a popular destination for travelers for several reasons:
- Angkor Wat: The most famous attraction in Siem Reap is the ancient temple complex of Angkor Wat. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is considered one of the most important archaeological sites in Southeast Asia and is one of the most visited tourist sites in the world.
- Other Temples: Angkor Wat is just one of the many temples in the area, and there are many other temples that are worth visiting such as the Ta Prohm, Bayon, Banteay Srei, and Preah Khan.
- Culture and history: Siem Reap is rich in culture and history, and visitors can learn about the Khmer Empire and the ancient civilization that built the temples.
- Local markets: Siem Reap has a vibrant local market scene, where visitors can find traditional Cambodian souvenirs, textiles, and handicrafts.
- Food: Siem Reap is known for its delicious local food, including traditional Cambodian dishes and street food.
- Nightlife: Siem Reap has a lively nightlife scene, with many bars, pubs, and nightclubs.
- Relaxation: Siem Reap also offers many spa and massage options, and a place to relax after a day of sightseeing.
- Responsible Tourism: Visitors can explore the city and the temples while also supporting local communities through responsible tourism initiatives.
|Famous Pub Street|
Overall, Siem Reap is an ideal destination for travelers interested in culture, history, art, and nature. The city's proximity to the temples of Angkor Wat and the other temple complex, make it a must-visit destination for those who want to explore the ancient Khmer civilization.
Where to stay in Siem Reap
|The Embassy Angkor Resort & Spa|
There are many places to stay, including luxury resorts, mid-range hotels, and budget guesthouses. Some popular options include:
- Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor: a luxurious and historic hotel located in the heart of Siem Reap, with a spa, a fitness center, and several dining options.
- Shinta Mani Shack: a stylish and contemporary boutique hotel located in a quiet area of Siem Reap, with a pool, a spa, and a restaurant.
- The Embassy Angkor Resort & Spa is located on the quiet side of Siem Reap and built in a style where Khmer architecture meets Western efficiency and is located in a green and relaxing environment (main pic above)
- Anansaya La Maison is an upscale unique property in Siem Reap, well-designed, hip and tasteful.
- Park Hyatt Siem Reap: a luxurious hotel located in the heart of Siem Reap's Old French Quarter, with a spa, a fitness center, and several dining options.
- The Rosewood Siem Reap: a luxurious hotel located in the heart of the city, with a spa, a fitness center, and several dining options.
- Java Wooden Villa provides visitors with a tranquil location in quiet pastoral surroundings. The hotel’s wooden design borrows heavily from traditional Khmer architecture.
- Tara Angkor Hotel: a mid-range hotel located in the heart of Siem Reap, with a pool, a fitness center, and several dining options.
- The Lantern Residence: a budget-friendly guesthouse located in the heart of Siem Reap, with a pool and a restaurant.
- Villa Siem Reap is designed with relaxation in mind. It is self-catering and self-contained for couples or families and hosted by a local family with traditional Cambodian hospitality.
|Villa Siem Reap|
It's worth noting that Siem Reap is a popular destination and it's advisable to book accommodation in advance, especially during peak season.
Recommended guide for Siem Reap and Angkor Wat
Bunthan Khan is an English-speaking tour guide and photographer in Siem Reap. His tours are well-organized and include rich interpretation, great photo opportunities, and visits to lesser-known locations around the sprawling Angor Wat metropolis. Visit his site www.alluringcambodiatravel.com. Follow Bunthan's Instagram below.
Why should you visit Angkor Wat?
Angkor Wat is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most important archaeological sites in Southeast Asia. It is a magnificent temple complex built in the 12th century by the Khmer Empire and is considered to be one of the most beautiful and well-preserved examples of ancient Khmer architecture. Visiting Angkor Wat allows you to experience the rich history and culture of the Khmer people and see some of the most impressive and intricate carvings, sculptures, and bas-reliefs in the world. Additionally, the surrounding jungle and the nearby temples of Angkor Thom and Ta Prohm are also unique and magical places that are definitely worth a visit.