Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Crave Sydney Launch
Crave Sydney is a major new event celebrating Sydney’s unmatched way of life, offering 31 days of food, outdoor art and fun.
• Crave Sydney draws together:
o Sydney International Food Festival, 1-31 October
o Art & About, 1-25 October
o Darling Harbour Fiesta, 2-5 October
o Sydney Harbour Island Hopping, 3-25 October
o World’s Funniest Island, 17-18 October
o Seven Bridges Walk, 25 October
o Breakfast on the Bridge, 25 October
• Crave Sydney is the next new anchor event on the first ever NSW Master Events Calendar launched last October.
• Events NSW estimate Crave Sydney will generate more than $6 million in economic benefit for the State.
• Crave Sydney was created by Events NSW, on behalf of the NSW Government to drive tourism, attract investment and create jobs.
• For the full Crave Sydney program visit www.cravesydney.com
CRAVE SYDNEY EVENTS
The Sydney International Food Festival (1-31 October)
• The Sydney International Food Festival (SIFF) will run throughout October.
• The festival will replace the popular Good Food Month – growing the 11 year old event into something even bigger and better.
• A major highlight will be the World Chef Showcase - bringing together Sydney’s biggest names in food as well as top chefs from around the world.
• The Festival will also include Good Food Month favourites such as Hats Off dinners, Let’s Do Lunch and the Night Noodle Markets; a huge new program of community festivals and regional food events across NSW and a Barbecue Madness Launch weekend on 3 October.
• SIFF is presented by The Sydney Morning Herald.
Art & About (1-25 October) FREE EVENT
• Unique installations, exhibitions and events enliven the laneways, parks, galleries and spaces of the City of Sydney in this annual public art festival.
• Highlights include:
o Open Gallery – an exhibition of works by contemporary NSW Aboriginal artists on street banners across the City.
o Sydney Life – a stunning outdoor exhibition of large scale photographs in Hyde Park North.
o Laneways By George! – Discover unexpected worlds in eight laneways transformed by creative installations.
o Uncover Oxford Street - intriguing shop front performances and installations, live jazz, art market and the Live Green House – showcasing sustainable design.
o I Heart Kings Cross – a community knitting installation covering trees and street poles in Kings Cross.
• Art & About is presented by City of Sydney.
Darling Harbour Fiesta (2-5 October) FREE EVENT
• Fiesta is Australia’s largest Latin American and Spanish music and dance festival.
• Fiesta will feature 70 of the best Latin bands and dance groups with 800 performers on three outdoor stages around Darling Harbour.
• For the first time in the event’s 18 year history, the program will feature two international bands – double-Grammy award winners Aterciopelados (Colombia) and exclusive to Sydney, Venezuela’s finest salsa orchestra, Bailatino.
• Fiesta is presented by Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority.
Sydney Harbour Island Hopping (3-25 October)
• Sydney’s harbour islands will be open to explore, discover and share with an Island Hopper ferry ticket.
• Sydney Harbour Island Hopping will offer unique and exciting experiences for all ages on four islands - Fort Denison, Clark, Shark and Garden Islands.
• Clark Island will host the Perfect Picnic on 25 October.
• The Rodd Island Tea Dances on 21 and 22 October will be perfect for lovers of the music and dances of the 20’s, 30’s and 40’s.
• Sydney Harbour Island Hopping is presented by National Parks and Wildlife Service.
World’s Funniest Island (17-18 October)
• A two day comedy festival on Cockatoo Island, Sydney Harbour.
• With just one ticket, comedy fans can choose from 200 shows in 18 venues on Cockatoo Island.
• Acts include The Goodies and Alexei Sayle with locals Merrick & Rosso, Akmal, Fiona O’Loughlin, Heath Franklin’s Chopper, Tripod, Jimeoin, Scared Weird Little Guys, Sleek Geeks and more.
• Tickets include all shows plus ferry.
• World’s Funniest Island is presented by Australian Comedy Festival.
Seven Bridges Walk (25 October) FREE EVENT
• 25km walk around Sydney Harbour and over Sydney’s seven key bridges.
• A free community event for all ages where participants can start and finish at designated villages near one of the seven bridges along the walk.
• This year there will be an individual theme for the food, music and activities to give each Village a local community flavor.
• A great way to see Sydney, become active, improve health and raise money for four leading charities.
• Seven Bridges Walk is presented by the Pedestrian Council of Australia.
Breakfast on the Bridge (25 October) FREE EVENT
• Sydney Harbour Bridge will be transformed into the worlds most sought after breakfast destination.
• 6,000 lucky people will have the chance to enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime experience on one of Australia’s most iconic landmarks.
• Images from Breakfast on the Bridge will be beamed around the world, showcasing again why Sydney is Australia’s number one destination.
• Breakfast on the Bridge is presented by the NSW Government and is part of Events NSW strategy to make Sydney and NSW Australia’s leading events destination