he Voyages of the Great Explorers – the Cruise West yearlong world cruise that launches in March 2010 -- will feature lectures and presentations by noted travel experts from the Smithsonian Journeys on select segments of the epic world voyage.
Cruise West and Smithsonian Journeys will develop the lecture series for 10 of the 24 distinct itineraries of the yearlong cruise highlighting such exotic locales as Singapore, Rome, Alexandria, Istanbul and Mumbai. Smithsonian Journeys experts will lead in-depth discussions and presentations on each region's rich history and culture.
The Voyages of the Great Explorers is a collection of distinct voyages that reflects the exploits of the legendary seafarers. Booked separately or as a complete journey, each segment offers historical insights into the sea commanders who first made history along the same routes.
"A world journey deserves world-class lecturers and guides," said Dietmar Wertanzl, president and CEO of Cruise West. "We recognized early on that a lecture series provided by Smithsonian Journeys would be a perfect complement for our adventure, given their long experience with onboard enrichment augmented by speakers recognized as authorities on our destinations. Working together, we can better achieve our mutual objective -- to educate people in the arts, history, sciences and culture through rich travel experiences."
Smithsonian Journeys, the Smithsonian Institution's educational travel program, feature top experts who are passionate about their subjects and delight in sharing their knowledge in lively, informative lectures and informal discussions.
Specific voyages featuring the Smithsonian Journeys' Lecture Series include:
- Voyage 2, 16-nights Song of India Chennai to Mumbai departing March 20, 2010, starts at $9,995
- Voyage 4, 18-nights Pharaohs and Prophets Muscat to Alexandria departing April 17, 2010, starts at $10,695
- Voyage 5, 14-nights Isles of the Turquoise Coast Alexandria to Istanbul departing May 4, 2010, starts at $11,595.
- Voyage 6, 14-nights Echoes of Odysseus Istanbul to Venice departing May 17, 2010, starts at $11,595
- Voyage 7, 12-nights Pax Romana Venice to Valetta departing May 30, 2010, starts at $9,995
- Voyage 8, 13-nights, Romans & Carthaginians Valletta to Rome departing June 10, 2010, starts at $9,595
- Voyage 18, 9-nights Sojourn to Easter Island Guayaquil to Easter Island departing October 24, 2010, starts at $3,895
- Voyage 22, 17-nights Discovering the Maori Coast Auckland to Sydney, December 15, 2010, starts at $14,395 (also a holiday cruise)
- Voyage 23, 19-nights, The Land Down Under Sydney to Darwin December 31, 2010, starts at $10,695
- Voyage 24, 16-nights Dragons and Spice Darwin to Singapore, January 18, 2011, starts at $10,995
Other features of the partnership include select books and DVD's provided by Smithsonian Enterprises and a sweepstakes for a cabin for two on the Voyage Three, 14-nights Treasures of Persia traveling from Mumbai to Muscat, April 4-18, 2010. Sweepstakes information is listed in the September issue of Smithsonian magazine and online at www.Smithsonianmag.com/winatrip
Departing Singapore on March 5, 2010, Cruise West's flagship -- the 120-guest, all-suite Spirit of Oceanus -- will sail westward to return to Singapore on February 3, 2011. For further details on The Voyages of the Great Explorers itineraries, visit www.CruiseWest.com, call 800-296-8307 or a travel professional.
~ Up-Close, Casual and Personal Cruising ~
About Cruise West
Cruise West believes that small is beautiful. Small-ship explorations allow up-close, casual and personal experiences unmatched by the traditional larger cruise lines. For more than 63 years Cruise West has provided authentic travel experiences where the destination is the focus. Nine small ships with guest capacities ranging from 78-138 explore remote and distinctive destinations throughout the globe. A robust onboard enrichment program further enhances the guest experience through topical guest lecturers, additional exploration by zodiac and included excursions at every port.
About Smithsonian Media
Founded in 1970 with the launch of Smithsonian magazine, Smithsonian Media -- comprising Smithsonian magazine, Air & Space, goSmithsonian, Smithsonian Publishing Digital Network, Smithsonian Books and advertising for Smithsonian Channel -- allows the intellectually curious to indulge and engage their passions for history, the arts, science, the natural world, culture and travel. Smithsonian Media's flagship publication, Smithsonian magazine, has a circulation of more than two million. This multimedia network is also affiliated with the world's most visited museum and research complexes at the Smithsonian Institution. For more information, visit smithsonian.com, airspacemag.com and gosmithsonian.com.