Saturday, July 11, 2020

Visiting Cowangie VIC

COWANGIE VIC 3506

Clarke's general store at the corner of Dayman and Lewis Streets is a large masonry building with splayed corner. It is a landmark building for the township. Dating from 1912 it represents the earliest stage of development in Cowangie and is a fine example of a commercial building. Of particular interest are the original timber-framed windows (R Eime)
One of the first Bush Nursing Centres in Victoria opened in Cowangie in 1918. It operated from a small stone cottage, still standing beside the Uniting Church, and brought medical help, although this might still involve a fearful wagon trip of an hour or more into town.

Former Commercial Bank, Cowangie


To the north of Cowangie, a gypsum mine was begun in the 1920s. The mineral was carted to a washing plant near the town then railed to Geelong for use in the manufacture of plasters and cement. (source: Readers Digest) Since closed.

The post office opened in 1912 when the rail link was completed but closed in 1994.
Postcode: 3506

Kow Plains Homestead (R Eime 2017)
Nearby is the historic Kow Plains Homestead, restored and able to be visited on a self-guided tour.

Cowangie Precinct is of historical, aesthetic, social and architectural significance to the Rural City of Mildura.

Cowangie forms part of the Mildura City Heritage Report (2013) 


Last 30 Days' Most Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...